Hospital to Home Services
Our Hospital Discharge Service provides 6-8 weeks support to people aged 50+ who have recently been discharged from hospital. This service is available to people living in Rhondda Cynon Taf, Merthyr Tydfil and Bridgend areas.
Many older people live alone or with an elderly partner or relative. After a stay in hospital the transition from hospital ward to home environment can be traumatic. Additional support may be needed during this period of readjustment. Our hospital discharge service complements the services provided by other agencies and is able to liaise on behalf of the service user with other service providers.
Who will decide what support is required?
The Hospital Discharge Service Coordinator will visit as soon as possible after discharge and a plan of visits will be arranged. A discussion with the Coordinator and the service user will take place as what type of support will be required. This will be reviewed during the support period.
Who will provide the support?
The support will be provided by trained outreach workers who have attended numerous training courses and will either possess their QCF 2 in Health and Social Care or will be working towards it.
How will I know the outreach worker?
You will be contacted prior to your first visit and told the name of the outreach worker allocated to support you. All outreach workers wear an identification badge.
What support will they provide?
Some of the tasks the outreach workers assist with include:
- Assistance with bed changing and/or laundry
- Reassurance and emotional support
- Prepare light meal or snack
- Information/liaison with other agencies
- Support to carers
What are the criteria for referrals?
Referrals can be made for anyone over the age of 50 who has been discharged from hospital within the previous 13 weeks who:
- Lives alone or will be alone during the day
- Lives with carers who may need support themselves
- Is frail, housebound, have poor mobility
- Is deemed ‘at risk’
- Refuses other support but is prepared to accept our service
- Has any illness or disability
- Is in need of emotional support
- Is in need of help with day-to-day tasks
What is the charge?
Our Hospital Discharge Service is FREE of charge.